FreeBSD 7.3-Stable / GEOM issue with ZFS attach/replace & zvol's...

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 8 20:22:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 09:11:49PM +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> --On 08 July 2010 21:20 +0200 Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> >>At the moment this is stopping me from replacing a failing drive which
> >>is  part of a zpool mirror set :(
> >
> >This was fixed in r200126, but wasn't MFCed to 7. I recommend upgrading
> >to 8.1 once it is released.
>
> Thanks - I did do quite a bit of digging around for similar issues, but
> missed it'd been fixed (I guess it's the usual problem of working out the
> right things to lookup)...
>
> I might leap before 8.1 is released (appears to be RC2 atm) - as I really
> need to replace the drive...

If you can turn off ZVOLs for a moment and do the replacement, you could
do the following:

	# zfs volfini

This command will removed all ZVOLs from /dev/ and they won't be a
problem during replace. Once you're done just call:

	# zfs volinit