compatibility with Linux software RAID?

Török Edwin edwintorok at gmail.com
Fri May 8 19:19:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before, but is there a way to access
(even if just read-only) RAID arrays created by Linux software raid
tools (mdadm)?

I want to test the new superpages support in FreeBSD 7.2, and do some
performance comparisons with Linux, problem is all my data is on a
RAID10 array.

I have this RAID10 array (according to /proc/mdstat Linux):
md4 : active raid10 sda3[0] sdc3[5] sdf3[4] sdd3[3] sde3[2] sdb3[1]
      2159617728 blocks 64K chunks 2 near-copies [6/6] [UUUUUU]

See here for how Linux's md driver lays out data:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels#Linux_MD_RAID_10

Does FreeBSD support reading this RAID format?

Alternatively I also have a RAID1 array on same disks:
md3 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[5] sde1[4] sdf1[3] sdb1[2] sdc1[1]
      9767424 blocks [6/6] [UUUUUU]

I see that FreeBSD supports RAID1, but will it read in parallel from all
6 disks?
(if not I can just mount one of them readonly)

Also if gmirror does support the above, is there a way to tell it to
treat the disks as readonly?

Also is there support for recognizing Linux RAID superblocks (partition
type 0xf Linux raid autodetect)?

Best regards,
--Edwin