kern/113885: [gmirror] [patch] improved gmirror balance algorithm

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 16 11:40:15 UTC 2009

Emil Mikulic wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR kern/113885; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Emil Mikulic <emikulic at gmail.com>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Cc: will at firepipe.net
> Subject: Re: kern/113885: [gmirror] [patch] improved gmirror balance
> 	algorithm
> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:56:19 +1000
>
>  Will Andrews' patch is *fantastic*
>
>  With this patch and gmirror set to "load" style balancing, I can run two
>  long sequential reads in parallel and get practically linear scaling on
>  a two-disk mirror.
>
>  Could someone please commit this?
>
>  --Emil

Can you please do some testing (of the style you just did but also
diskinfo -vt and possibly random reads) on both patch candidates:

and
http://sobomax.sippysoft.com/~sobomax/geom_mirror.diff

Unless there are significant differences in favour of the second
version, I'm inclined to commit the version in the PR (unless problems
and obstructions are indicated, of course).