gvinum & gjournal

Brian McCann bjmccann at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 06:45:45 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Rick C. Petty
<rick-freebsd2008 at kiwi-computer.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:10:35AM -0500, Brian McCann wrote:
>>
>> I'm doing journaling so that I theoretically never have to fsck.  It's
>
> You don't *have* to fsck with UFS2 either, if you're using soft updates.
> The only thing fsck does is free up space and inodes that are marked as
> used but are really not used.  Since it can be done successfully in the
> background, I don't see much of a problem (yes it will take hours, so
> schedule the checks at times when you have the least I/O traffic).  As far
> as RAM, so long as you have swap it should be fine, just adding extra time
> to the checks.  Again you only need to run fsck if the filesystem was dirty
> during a reboot or crash and you need to reclaim space.  I like to schedule
> my fscks on busy systems for 12-36 hours delay after startup.  That way you
> don't run them after every reboot if you're experiencing problems and I
> like to schedule them when no one is using the system.
>
> -- Rick C. Petty

The only time I ever run fsck's is when the system is shutdown dirty
(and just about on every reboot, on the large arrays anyway, it almost
never background fsck's the array...it insists on doing it before the
rest of the system boots/loads).  I've already got a few servers here
with UFS2 that occasionally crash or hang for various reasons and
reboot...and with large file systems (like 2 roughly 200GB arrays),
the system takes almost 1 hour to come back to life.  I was really
hoping UFS2 would have solved this old problem...but it still pops
it's head back up now and then. :(

Thanks!