mirror a GPT partition, what label?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 8 20:37:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 08:35:25PM +0100, Koen Smits wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My new NAS will have the following disk layout:
> ad0 -> 2gb CF
> ad4 -> 1TB WD Green
> ad6 -> 1TB WD Green
>
> The CF will boot the rig, the 2 1TB disks will be mirrored with ZFS. No
> problem there, did it before.
> The problem lies in the swap space, which I want to place at the first
> gigabyte of the 1TB disks. The disks will use GPT layout. I want to gmirror
> the first 1GB partition on both disks. How should I accomplish this? Is it
> sufficient to label both partitions 'freebsd'? According to man 8 gpart
> 'freebsd' should not be used when using GPT. Any insight would be
> appreciated.

gmirror shouldn't care what the underlying type is though using freebsd
may confuse future tools that expect to find a bsdlabel on the partition.
That being said, I'd be pretty surprised if mirroring your swap
partition did anything other than causing pain and preventing coredumps.
You can have quite a number of swap partitions so why not just add both
and have twice as much (plus the chance to successfully produce a core
dump if you need to debug something).

-- Brooks