gjournal: FLUSHCACHE timed out

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed Oct 17 07:44:39 PDT 2007

on 17/10/2007 14:41 Eric Anderson said the following:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> ad4s1ge (please don't pay attention to its slightly unusual name, this
>> is for historic reasons) is a journal partition/consumer for my /var
>> filesystem/partition/provider.
>> Size of /var is 16G, size of the journal is slightly less than 1G (1G -
>> 32 sectors actually). /var is UFS2 with softupdates enabled.
>

> Pawel, correct me if I'm wrong here - but I think you really need to
> turn *off* softupdates on gjournaled file systems.

I was under a big mis-impression that I have to have softupdates enabled
for snapshots to work. Now that I know that I was wrong I will turn off
the softupdates. But it seems that there is nothing that would preclude
_in principle_ combination of softupdates/gjournal. Anyway, I care only
out of curiosity.

>> I noticed that I get these messages only when I run 'dump' on any of my
>> filesystems. I think that dump is using /tmp or /var/tmp for some
>> temporary data and in my setup both of those are in /var filesystem.
>>
>> So my I guess is that /var is being written "too" actively and I have to
>> tune some parameters to make things smooth.
>
> A few things to note:
>
> - you can turn on 'async' option for your gjournaled file system, and
> get better performance

will do

> - you might be able to at the 'noatime' option to your file system mount
> also

probably will do as well

> - You might try turning your journal switch time from 10 down to 5, and
> see if it alleviates some pressure on your disk.

I already did this and it helped! I don't see the messages anymore.
Thank you!
I will try to set this back to 10 after I do away with softupdates and
see what happens.

Thank you very much again.

--
Andriy Gapon