Geom_label and multiple devices

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Wed Mar 28 10:40:09 UTC 2007

I've just thought of something - the situation where geom_label detects
multiple "same" labels is actually very similar to that of
geom_multipath. Obviously this doesn't apply 100% to UFS and other
filesystems' labels (except if there's a way to identify different file
systems by their superblock, for example timestamp of creation?), but in
case of "manual" labels, if the unique ID matches and the label string
matches, it's probably the same device.

Currently, geom_label discards "additional" devices with the same label,
and I remember there was a discussion about if that should be changed
(though I don't remember the conclusions). It would be useful if
geom_label would work the same as geom_multipath in this case (i.e.
failover to "next" device, add new devices with same label+id to the
pool), or even if geom_multipath were merged in geom_label.

Comments?