geli not registering keypresses

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 14:31:56 UTC 2007

--- Kiril Kirov <k.n.kirov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to circumvent the problem without any success - compiling GELI
> support in custom kernel, removing kbdmux, booting from CD-ROM, PXE,
> etc. The problem seems to affect only GELI passphrase prompt. I tried
> to scroll the console using Scroll Lock and it works as expected, even
> when the kernel is waiting for the passphrase. I also used my keyboard
> at the loader prompt to load kernel modules without trouble. However
> when I start typing the passphrase, I have to press most of the keys
> for several (up to 10) times to get registered.

Cant u circumvent the prob by not using a passphrase and by removing the little
smartcard (or so), that stores the secret, after the reboot?

That would make things easier in case of an emergency:
U could just give the extortionist the token (smartcard?) without being
concerned about ur handwriting.

U could keep a copy of that token in a bank-safe for the case that the usual
token gets damaged badly...

I would like to have a special token (I call it "fun-token"), that makes ur box
deleting the data if inserted during reboot, so that any further
extortion-attempts r of no use (if and only if there is no backup -- although
in that case u would lose ur data, too).

-Arne