geom_gate and geom_mirror status?

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon Jun 4 13:59:09 UTC 2007

Tomas Zvala writes:

> About a year ago I tried setting up similar solution with FBSD and
> ggate/gmirror but even with generic kernel it wasn't stable enough for
> production usage.

Thanks much for the feedback.
We have set it up in two test machines and it hung up with some basic
testing. This was with 6.2 Release.

Doesn't look very promissing so far.

> having it rock solid. Another problem is the need to do full resync
> after disconnect event (and with 900G disk it takes a looooong time even
> on 1GBps connection)

We are going to have 50GB to 200GB. Unlikely any more than that.

> So our mailserver runs gentoo linux with drbd for
> about 10 months now and works perfectly.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to port drbd to FreeBSD.

> -> fs is not mounted and we just have a manual failover in the event of
> master server failure)

Take a look at ucarp. A co-worker is doing the testing of our high
availability setup. He said that ucarp was pretty straight forward to setup.