geom_gate and geom_mirror status?

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 12:30:50 UTC 2007

--- Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
> Anyone has any experience with geom_gate, geom_mirror features in an ISP
> style setup?

I dont...

> At work we are testing them and so far it looks promissing, but we are
> wondering how it behaves under heavy load. Would like to
> use it for replicating Maildir directories at an ISP in real time.

The problem would be, that UFS (I assume that u want to use UFS on top of
gmirror) does not allow multiple RW mounts...

Maybe u would like afs/dfs or coda or mysql (i dont know if there r mail
exchangers, that can use mysql; maybe qmail?) better?

Or maybe u would like this self-made construction better:
Whenever an email comes in from the outside (so not from the other hot box), u
forward it via some specially crafted /etc/aliases file to the other hot box.
Then u would need something, that pop3-s both boxes simultaneously somehow
(maybe via a journal, that is sent to the other hot box every few seconds, and
that is shortened if the changes r acknowledged)... And after a crash the box
would be updated automatically via the mail queue (if the down time was not too
long)...

-Arne