Difference between setting geli(8) key when attached or detached

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Fri Jun 1 00:36:50 UTC 2007

Hi Pawel,

I dare to contact you because I'm studying GELI's code and I found
a piece of code I'm not sure to understand, although I've read phk's
GEOM tutorial thoroughly.

>From what I've undertood (please, correct me if I'm wrong), a
"spoiled" event is ``posted when a provider gets a non-zero access
count.  All attached providers, except the guilty party, are
notified.''

geli(8)'s "setkey" command uses two different code paths, depending
on whether the provider is attached or not.  If is it attached,
it seems to use the GEOM kernel part to update the key while
if it is detached it writes it directly from userland.

My thought is that the provider being modified is not notified
by the GEOM framework.  Am I right?

Thank you.
Best regards,
--