What is gstripe ?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Sat Jan 13 04:25:42 UTC 2007

On 01/12/07 18:47, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Please forgive me, I know this is a dumb question.  I've checked the
> manpage, Wikipedia [1], Webopedia [2] and a few other documents,
> but I'm still not sure to fully understand the striping concept.
>
> gmirror(8) provides RAID-1 and is very easy to understand.
> gconcat(8) is easy to grasp as well.
>
> However, I'm experiencing some difficulties to understand gstripe(8).
> I would say it's a kind of smart disk concatenation which stores
> block X on disk (X % N), where N is the number of disk in the RAID-0.
> This permits faster read/write.
>
> Am I right ?
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_striping
> [2] http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RAID.html
>
> Thank you.
> Best regards,

Yea, that's pretty close!  A stripe (RAID 0 - called that because it
really isn't redundant in any way) is just like you described.  Write
one block to the first disk, then the next block to the next disk, etc.
  It distributes your read/write activity to increase performance.
Sequential read/write performance may not be affected, but random IO
should get a nice boost.  See this site for some pretty graphics:

http://www.raid.com/04_00.html

or more specifically:

http://www.raid.com/04_01_00.html

Eric