geom_raid5 livelock?

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 21:44:41 UTC 2007

--- CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
> http://home.cyberleo.net/cyberleo/workspace/Zip/graid5-testing.png

Aha...
Looks like gmirror is quite busy, too, while idle at the same time...
This might mean, that we have a new GEOM problem...

> As shown in top, one rsync and one find process are stuck in biord
> waiting for data from the filesystem, while the CPU is otherwise mostly
> quiescent. I can't find evidence anywhere of what could be using the
> raid5 and mirror providers so much, though.

Me, too...

> The frozen processes are one locate database update (find) and one rsync
> process copying data from an old backup machine to the new one. The
> frozen processes do not respond to attempts to kill them until the
> filesystem begins responding.

Hmm... Can u try without gmirror? :-)
I mean: Just if it is not too complicated for u (I have no hard evidence, that
gmirror is the cause of something)...

> Also, tuning the sysctl had no effect prior to, nor during, the
> livelock. Nothing new appeared in /var/log/messages while set to 1 or 2.

Hmm...
That might show, that ur /etc/syslog.conf does not log every message... :-) Can
u try the line "*.* /var/log/all" to /etc/syslog.conf (after editing that file,
touch the log file ("touch /var/log/all") and then reload the syslogd conf
("/etc/rc.d/syslogd reload" or so))?

-Arne