gjournal 6.X and fs snapshots

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Dec 17 02:41:10 PST 2007

on 17/12/2007 12:33 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> Pawel,
>
> it seems that 6.X gjournal (with .deleted/ directory) keeps files for fs
> snapshots "forever". I use "dump -L" to create backups of live
> filesystems and noticed that after some days dump fails with:
> mksnap_ffs: Cannot create /var/.snap/dump_snapshot: No space left on device
>
> I looked into .deleted and see 20 files owned by operator with the same
> "huge" size (circa size of the whole fs). So my conclusion was that
> those are the snapshot files, so I have 20 active snapshots and so I
> have exhausted their limit.

And yes, using mdconfig and mount I could mount one of the files and it
was an image of the fs.

> Does this look as a correct understanding ? Is there a way to cleanup
> those without a reboot ? Can I simply rm them (without any bad
> consequences) ?

Well, I removed one and everything seems to have gone ok.

So, I guess I could declare this issue a "minor annoyance" and live with
it until upgrade to 7. I hope that in 7 gjournal doesn't keep the
snapshots around after they are deleted.

--
Andriy Gapon