volume management

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Apr 10 09:21:03 UTC 2007

Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie at le-hen.org> writes:
> Is there any difference between "glvm" and gvirstor ?  I suppose there
> are at least a few, but what are them ?

gvirstor is a kind of "virtual memory" for disks - you pre-allocate
address space and worry later about where to find physical space to
back it.

glvm works the other way around - you have a certain amount of
physical space and manually allocate address space from it when you
need it.

glvm gives you flexibility without having to worry about over-
committing your physical space; on the other hand, gvirstor can spare
you the trouble of having to resize your file systems, but will be far
more susceptible to fragmentation.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no