gmirror on disks of different size

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 26 00:48:50 PST 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 02:44:26PM -0800, Steven Schoch wrote:
+> I have been using gvinum, but it seems that's not supported in FreeBSD
+> 6.0, so I'd like to switch to something more reliable like gmirror.

AFAIK gvinum is supported.

+> da0s1d and da1s1g are the same size.  This leaves unused space on da1,
+> on which I have da1s1e (/tmp) and da1s1f (/scratch).
+>
+> da0s1a and da1s1a are both the same size and have / on both.
+> da0s1b and da1s1b are both swap partitions.
+>
+> In the event of a failure of da1, I can simply boot from da0s1a, and
+> continue where I left off (with the loss of /scratch and /tmp - no big
+> deal).  A failure of da0 will only be noticed by gvinum (although the
+> loss of the swap partition da0s1b may require a reboot.)
+>
+> So how do I run this setup using gmirror?  All the documentation I
+> have read shows giving full disks of identical size.

With gmirror you can mirror any GEOM providers (disks, slices,
partitions, stripes, encrypted providers - anything).

You can simply:

	# gmirror label root da0s1a da1s1a
	# gmirror label usr da0s1d da1s1g

Which will create /dev/mirror/root and /dev/mirror/usr for you.