Firefox and llvm

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Jun 17 01:46:21 UTC 2019

On 16.06.19 21:31, Jan Beich wrote:
> "Mikhail T." <mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com> writes:
>
>> Gentlemen, do you realize, building Firefox on FreeBSD today one has
>> to wait for the entire LLVM to be recompiled -- /twice/: once because
>> gecko, inexplicably, wants LLVM itself, and also because rust builds
>> its own bundled version...
>>
>> What's wrong with the binaries provided by the base OS?.. Yours,
> See https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyDoIHaveToBuildLLVMWhenIAlreadyHaveClangInstalled

Don't know about the video-drivers, but Firefox will happily build with
llvm60, llvm70, and llvm80 -- for all the alleged "instability",
evidently, the version is not a problem.

> Maybe add "www/firefox needs libclang.so since 56.0
Looking at my currently running firefox with lsof, I do not see libclang
being used. Indeed, the library is not used at all on my machine: "lsof
| grep libclang" yields nothing...
> and llvm-objdump since 67.0" if you have wiki account.

I suspect, it is possible to remove this requirement with a small patch
-- I can't see, what good llvm-objdump could do to the vast majority of
users. And if it does something good, llvm-objdump is already part of
base (at least, on this 12.0-STABLE laptop I'm trying to dress up)...

Yours,

    -mi