FreeBSD Port: firefox-60.0_2,1 missing 'Print to LPR'

Stephen Gunn stephen at dreamaway.org
Sat May 12 21:30:50 UTC 2018

Hi,

First, thank you for maintaining this port.

I'm running Firefox 60.0_2,1 on 11.1-RELEASE-p10.  In the print dialog,
the option 'Print to LPR' no longer shows up, only 'Print to File'.  If
I install firefox-esr, then 'Print to LPR' is again present.

I strongly suspect it's related to a switch to gtk-3.0 in the most
recent versions of Firefox.  I think gtk3 by default expects CUPS
printing, but I'm using LPD.  There is supposed to be a way to specify
that you still want printing in the gtk3 settings.ini file, by setting
gtk-print-backends = "lpr, file", but it doesn't work.

I looked, and on my machine, gtk print backend libraries are installed
in /usr/local/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/printbackends, so it seems like it
should work, yet it does not.

I believe this will be an issue for any application that uses gtk3,
where printing is done with native LPD and not CUPS.

I also started up a thread in the forums, and I'm not the only one
seeing the issue.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/no-print-to-lpr-in-firefox-print-dialog.65805/

Thanks again,

Stephen