Videos have a pink hint in Firefox

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 3 19:46:35 UTC 2017

"Mikhail T." <mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com> writes:

> Hello! This is a bizarre new problem I noticed after a recent upgrade
> of Firefox -- not sure, when exactly it happened, because I don't view
> videos on my computer very often. Below is an example of what I'm
> talking about -- a screenshot from YouTube. But the problem is the
> same on other sites too.

Firefox doesn't use hardware decoding on Linux and FreeBSD but it may
use OpenGL or XRender compositing. Flash plugin is an exception, with
nvidia-driver you may need to symlink /usr/local/etc/vdpau_wrapper.cfg
to /compat/linux/etc/vdpau_wrapper.cfg. Otherwise, try reproducing in a
pristine jail with default binary packages and fresh profile.

Which KMS, DDX and DRI driver? If in doubt try using vesa (BIOS) or scfb
(UEFI) with llvmpipe. I can't help much with x11@ issues due to lack
of hardware.

What FreeBSD release/architecture is affected? For one, my testing on i386
is hindered by https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/issues/166
but llvmpipe seems to work fine.

> I checked mplayer -- playing videos with it works fine. Not sure, if
> this is Firefox or some video-processing library that it relies
> on... Advice? Thanks! Yours,

Check more than one video output e.g., -vo gl. Check other video players
e.g, mpv, vlc and something GStreamer-based.