Firefox 56 in FreeBSD: Safe Browsing API key required

Francois Marier francois at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 20 23:57:11 UTC 2017

On 17/11/17 10:01 AM, Jan Beich wrote:
> Not sure why Firefox 56 didn't switch to v4 but 57 atm doesn't work.

The mechanism that 56 used to switch to V4 is Shield experiments, which
might be disabled in your builds (either explicitly or implicitly
because they're not official builds).

> Chromium 61 still warns about phishing pages, so the issue is probbaly
> not due to the API key quota.

[snip]

> listmanager: 17:00:01 GMT+0000 (UTC): download error for googpub-phish-proto,goog-malware-proto,goog-unwanted-proto,goog-badbinurl-proto,goog-downloadwhite-proto,goog-passwordwhite-proto: 429

429 is the error I was seeing on Ubuntu until we got their API quota
limits increased. So that's likely the issue here too.

To test that hypothesis, you could try to see if there's a time during
the day when it works. I think I got it to work on Ubuntu (prior to the
quota increase) in the early morning.

Of course, the real fix is to either find the Project ID for the key
you're using or create a new API key / project and get that whitelisted
by Google.

Francois