FreeBSD Port: www/firefox

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 11 17:24:58 UTC 2017

Jakub Lach writes:

> Can firefox 53 be build with gtk2?
>
>   File
> "/usr/obj/usr/ports/www/firefox/work/firefox-53.0/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/configure/options.py",
> line 366, in get_value
>     % (val, ', '.join("'%s'" % c for c in self.choices)))
> mozbuild.configure.options.InvalidOptionError: 'cairo-gtk2' is not one of
> 'cairo-windows', 'cairo-gtk3', 'cairo-cocoa', 'cairo-uikit',
> 'cairo-android', 'cairo-gonk'
> *** Fix above errors and then restart with\
>                "gmake -f client.mk build"

No, it's being phased out[1]. If you can't use GTK3 for some reason make
your voice heard by replying on upstream mailing list, file bugs or
triage existing ones.

I'll update www/firefox-esr to 52.1.0 soon which is going to have
non-default GTK2 option for another year.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev-platform@lists.mozilla.org/msg20523.html

Walter Schwarzenfeld (privately) writes:
> With gtk3 on it starts after sysctl p1003_1b.sem_nsems_max=512.
> Please => pkg-message.

Don't use sem(4), it's deprecated since FreeBSD 9.0. p1003_1b.sem_nsems_max
doesn't have an effect with the new implementation.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/201546

> I hope it will starts with gtk2 too. Cause till now, every try with
> gtk3 I had no Menüitems (that means no Menutext).

By Menuitems do you mean Context Menu or Menu Bar. The latter is
disabled by default since Australis but can be easily changed.

https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Customize-controls-options-and/Customize-Firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars/ta-p/2715#w_turn-on-the-title-bar-menu-bar-or-bookmarks-toolbar

Otherwise, try reproducing in a pristine jail. Maybe there's a stale
configuration getting in the way.