build failure for firefox 50.0.1 on FB10.3

Omar S omars1234 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 20:05:56 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Jan Beich <jbeich at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Omar S <omars1234 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > This is where the failure occurs:
> >     INPUT("../../gfx/skia/Unified_cpp_gfx_skia8.o")
> >     INPUT("../../gfx/skia/Unified_cpp_gfx_skia9.o")
> >     INPUT("StaticXULComponentsEnd/StaticXULComponentsEnd.o")
> >
> > /usr/local/bin/ld: ../../xpcom/components/nsComponentManager.o:
> relocation
> > R_X86_64_PC32 against protected symbol `start_kPStaticModules_NSModule'
> can
> > not be used when making a shared object
>
> Looks like https://gnats.netbsd.org/50767 which has a workaround. Maybe
> check if it fixes the build for you without causing a crash on startup.

Hello Jan,

Thanks for the followup. Your response sounded like my build problem was
not shared by many others, so I took another look, focused on my build
environment, and tracked down the problem.

Looks like the problem was caused by having $LOCALBASE first on my path
(ie, /usr/local/bin). I suspect that's the fault of binutils, though I
didn't retest thoroughly enough to determine which binary is at fault. "ld"
seems like a likely candidate. The 10.3 /usr/bin/ld is:
GNU ld 2.17.50 [FreeBSD] 2007-07-03

While the current (ports) binutils /usr/local/bin/ld is:
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.27

Just thought I'd share that in case others report the same problem. I
didn't experience this issue prior to ff50 (but binutils may have changed
also).

-omar