New Seamonkey Trouble?

Jan Beich jbeich at vfemail.net
Sun Apr 3 14:32:20 UTC 2016

Louis Epstein <le at main.put.com> writes:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, Jan Beich wrote:
>
>> Louis Epstein <le at main.put.com> writes:
>>
>> > We are once again seeing a new revision of the Seamonkey port
>> > (2.39_3)
>> > refuse to install via Portmaster because of known vulnerabilities
>> > (which presumably affect the older version as well).
>> >
>> > I suppose I'll have to wait for pkg to catch up to run the
>> > update?
>>
>> SeaMonkey release process lags behind Firefox. It's unrelated to gecko@
>> being undermaintained. 2.40 simply has no usable distfile yet.
>
> But now??
>
> The SeaMonkey homepage detects my 2.39 and tells me to get 2.40.

2.40 uses the same browser engine as firefox 43.0 which is vulnerable.
As mail/thunderbird and www/firefox-esr are going to switch to 45.1esr
in a few weeks converting www/seamonkey to use mail/thunderbird distfile
would be more desirable. Upstream appears to be drowning in its own
infra issues.

If you still want 2.40 submit patches provided seamonkey-i18n,
linux-seamonkey and Mk/Uses/gecko.mk are kept in sync.