Tor browser

Jan Beich jbeich at vfemail.net
Sun Nov 16 17:44:23 UTC 2014

brunomaximom at openmailbox.org writes:

> Hi, I was trying to buil linux-tor-browser but when I run it I got this
> error:
>
> mkdir: cannot create directory `.config': Permission denied
> ln: creating symbolic link `.config/ibus': No such file or directory

A regular user has no write access under /usr/local/lib/linux-tor-browser
where those commands are run. As the port moves TorBrowser/Data
to %%USERDATADIR%% the quoted path may need to be adjusted as well.

ticket#9353 probably doesn't affect linux-tor-browser because only
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim is supported due to lack of extra gtk immodules among
linux- ports. So, the quoted error about applying IBus workaround can be
ignored for now.

> expr: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open

Indeed. linux_base-* are missing libgmp.so.3 despite some apps that
maybe used within linux shell scripts depending on it. expr(1) usage in
particular is pretty common even though one can easily replace it with
$((...)) arithmetics and case/esac shell patterns.

  $ /compat/linux/usr/bin/expr
  /compat/linux/usr/bin/expr: error while loading shared libraries:
  libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

  $ /compat/linux/usr/bin/factor
  /compat/linux/usr/bin/factor: error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However, the quoted error wouldn't occur if:

  - the script is executed by linux shell
  - linuxulator strips /compat/linux prefix before giving up
  - PATH environment variable contains /bin before /usr/bin

  $ /compat/linux/bin/bash

  bash-4.1$ PATH=/bin:/usr/bin which expr
  /bin/expr

  bash-4.1$ PATH=/usr/bin:/bin which expr
  /usr/bin/expr

To fix try default PATH or file a bug against emulators/linux_base-c6.

> /usr/local/bin/linux-tor-browser: line 213: [: 32: unary operator
> expected

The code assumes *ARCHITECTURE assignments never fail. In your case
TORARCHITECTURE is unset which leads to:

  $ /compat/linux/bin/bash
  bash-4.1$ [ 32 -ne ]
  bash: [: 32: unary operator expected

> Copying skeleton profile to /tmp/linux-tor-browser
> Launching Tor Browser for Linux in
> /usr/local/lib/linux-tor-browser/Browser...
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

libcanberra dependency is optional and mostly used for theme sound
effects and notifications (e.g. alarm, new mail). As there's no
audio/linux-*-libcanberra dlopen(3) always fails for linux-firefox,
linux-tor-browser, etc.

> Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line
> 70: non-double matrix element
> Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line
> 70: non-double matrix element
> Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line
> 78: saw unknown, expected number
> Tor Browser exited abnormally.  Exit code: 1
>
> Any idea?

Be careful with PATH and linux_base-* ports are known to provide
only complementary environment not enough to chroot(8) into.

VFEmail.net - http://www.vfemail.net
ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!