Firefox 3* issues

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 19 15:57:36 UTC 2009

Hey,

I don't want to feel stupid, but I keep getting this error when I
launch either firefox3 or firefox35:

GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

I'm not sure what the issue is.  My make.conf has nothing that
would affect:

# added by use.perl 2009-07-06 15:47:41
PERL_VERSION=5.8.9

I'm not using the "OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS":
# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
# No user-servicable parts inside!
# Options for firefox-3.5.1,1
_OPTIONS_READ=firefox-3.5.1,1
WITH_DBUS=true
WITH_NEWTAB=true
WITHOUT_SMB=true
WITHOUT_DEBUG=true
WITHOUT_LOGGING=true
WITHOUT_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS=true

dbus is working:
localhost# pgrep dbus
1403
1402
1051

My modules:
localhost# kldstat
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1   19 0xffffffff80100000 7c6188   kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff808c7000 47a60    if_em.ko
 3    1 0xffffffff8090f000 23e48    snd_hda.ko
 4    2 0xffffffff80933000 75728    sound.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff809a9000 69c8     sem.ko
 6    1 0xffffffff80a22000 7b73     i915.ko
 7    1 0xffffffff80a2a000 1106b    drm.ko

Only thing I get is a firefox window that sits there, it doesn't
go any further.  There is nothing in UPDATING (either ports/ or
src/ versions).  I have uninstalled all of my ports and did
a complete re-install of everything, from source.  No go.  My
version is:

FreeBSD localhost.fbsdsecure.org 8.0-BETA1 FreeBSD 8.0-BETA1 #0 r195655M: Mon Jul 13 09:14:33 EDT 2009     trhodes at localhost.fbsdsecure.org:/usr/obj/usr/home/trhodes/work/head/sys/MOBILE  amd64

MOBILE is just a kernel with the USB, network cards, and SCSI
drivers ripped out.

I can fall back to an older kernel and it works, but this is
becoming tedious and I don't see any reason the current kernel
would fail.  A quick Google search makes it seem I'm the only
one with this issue.

Suggestions?  Did I miss something?  Thanks,

--
Tom Rhodes