Dual-port SAS HDD ?

Ben RUBSON ben.rubson at gmx.com
Thu May 6 10:52:01 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'm building a new ZFS pool from scratch, choosing my own hardware etc...
For sure I'll go for the standard SAS2008 / SAS3008 controller.

However, I'm wondering whether or not I should absolutely go for dual-port SAS HDD (with dual backplane, controller...).
I have some difficulties to find enterprise grade dual port SAS HDD.
HGST used to provide Ultrastar SAS HDD which were dual-port.
However, strangely, Western Digital does not advertise their Ultrastar DC SAS HDD as bringing dual-port, so I guess they're not.

Any thoughts / advices regarding this topic ?

Many thanks for your help,

Kind regards,

Ben