Is an HP P812 (ciss(4) RAID) usable for ZFS?

Mel Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Wed Sep 9 02:12:05 UTC 2020

[Posting this here as this list gets seen by many ZFS-aware eyeballs,
but if there is a better list please tell me.]

I've gotten my hands on a couple of HP Smart Array P812 RAID
controllers, but I can't tell if they'll work for ZFS.

I know they're supported by ciss(4), but queries have gotten me
conflicting answers about HBA/JBOD capability, including that HBA mode
might be OS-dependent. These do support creating single-disk RAID0
plexes, but I'd rather not have RAID logic in the path at all if I can
avoid it.

Does anyone know if these will work as HBAs for ZFS on FreeBSD? If not,
has anyone used the stated workaround and gotten good results?