ZFS not mounting after upgrade to 12.2

abefar at protonmail.com abefar at protonmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:47:11 UTC 2020

Greetings!

After upgrading to 12.2-RELEASE, the ZFS filesystems on my fileserver no longer mount on boot. I have to do either "zfs mount -a" or "zpool export data && zpool import data" in order for the pool's filesystems to activate after booting.

The first time I run the zfs(8) or zpool(8) commands after boot, there's a delay of several seconds, even though the kernel modules are already loaded at this point.
Everything appears normal according to "zfs list" and "zpool status", and nothing out of the ordinary seems to occur in dmesg or the syslog. The only thing indicating a problem is mountd(8) complaining about non-existing export mount points.
I have zfs_enable="YES" in rc.conf, and have also tried adding zfs_load="YES" to loader.conf, to no avail.

My pool consists of an mps(4) SAS controller (LSI 9211-8i) with 8 HDDs in raidz2 mode, originally added using their raw diskid/* device files (before creating a partition table on them).
The only non-standard factor I can think of is that the server is a virtual machine running on KVM (Debian Buster host w/ Linux 4.19) with the HBA attached using PCI passthrough. However, this setup has been working perfectly fine since 11.0-RELEASE where I moved it over from dedicated hardware.

Any ideas on how to proceed with troubleshooting this issue?

Thanks!