ZFS on FreeBSD 11.3 slower than 10.4

Ronald Klop ronald-lists at klop.ws
Fri Jun 5 22:57:24 UTC 2020

On Fri, 05 Jun 2020 22:57:15 +0200, Ronald Klop <ronald-lists at klop.ws>
wrote:

> On Sat, 30 May 2020 23:29:48 +0200, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-05-30 22:10, Ronald Klop wrote:

>>> How full is the disk? ZFS has poor performance if the disk becomes
>>> full.
>>> What is in /etc/sysctl.conf and /boot/loader.conf?
>>> And did you try to boot 12.1 and did it have the same behavious?
>>
>> It is currently 77% full. But it is the same pool with the same
>> capacity as with 10.4.
>>
>> I didn't try 12.1, I need to stay on 11.3 for now.
>>
>> ## loader.conf
>>
>> nvidia_load="YES"
>> drm_load="YES"
>> drm2_load="YES"
>> iicbus_load="YES"
>> vboxdrv_load="YES"
>> crypto_load="YES"
>> aesni_load="YES"
>> geom_eli_load="YES"
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max="1024M"
>> zfs_load="YES"
>> iicbus_load="YES"
>>
>> ## sysctl.conf
>>
>> kern.coredump=0
>> kern.maxfiles=49312
>> vfs.usermount=1
>> security.jail.allow_raw_sockets=1
>> security.jail.sysvipc_allowed=1
>> security.jail.mount_allowed=1
>> security.jail.chflags_allowed=1
>> hw.syscons.bell=0
>> kern.sched.preempt_thresh=224
>> kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1
>> kern.shutdown.poweroff_delay=500
>> kern.bootfile=/boot/kernel/kernel
>> hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1
>> hw.snd.default_unit=3
>> kern.sched.interact=10
>> vfs.aio.max_aio_per_proc=256
>> vfs.aio.max_aio_queue=8192
>> vfs.aio.max_aio_queue_per_proc=1024
>> vfs.aio.max_buf_aio=64
>> net.local.stream.recvspace=65536
>> net.local.stream.sendspace=65536
>>

>> loader.conf and sysctl.conf are the same for 10.4 and 11.3 but 11.3 is
>> much much slower when it comes to heavy IO like "find" daily periodic
>> scripts, zfs destroy, starting new applications etc.
>>

>> Kind regards
>> Miroslav Lachman
>

> I don't have anything I see which I'm sure will fix things, but you
> could try to remove/comment some of these sysctls to see if 11.3 has
> better defaults now.
> kern.sched.preempt_thresh, kern.maxfiles, kern.sched.interact, vfs.aio.*
>
> What kind of machine is it? CPU, MEM?
> What does gstat say about the saturation of the disk?
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

What might also be interesting is which timer is selected. Sometimes for
some reason another time-source is chosen which can influence a lot of
things (like sound).
Please post the output of "sysctl kern.eventtimer" and "sysctl
kern.timecounter" if possible of 10.4 and 11.3.

Or compare the /var/run/dmesg.boot files of 10.4 and 11.3 to see if some
hardware is recognized differently.

Regards,
Ronald.