Dell HBA, ECC reporting and ZFS ECC in zpool status

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Jul 2 09:44:55 UTC 2020

> On 25 Jun 2020, at 03:48, George Michaelson <ggm at algebras.org> wrote:
>
> I'm very confused by what to do here. After doing some firmware
> update, and then zfs scrub I now have cleared error states in the
> zpool. and by moving to the mrsas driver I can now do SMART on the
> disks at runtime, but at a cost of not having mrtutil type HBA
> interactions: I can't mark drives into valid/good state in runtime any
> more because that control logic doesn't look to be in the mrsas
> command model. Its camcontrol.

So what was the name of your devices?

For ZFS you want ZFS to access the SAS or SATA devices directly without any intervention of “intelligent”
RAID stuff which can cause more trouble.

Many yeard ago I had horrible experiences with that until I went the “direct” route.

So, going camcontrol only is the right way.  Do you see any suspect values on SMART?

Borja.