Maildir on ZFS

Mason Loring Bliss mason at blisses.org
Fri Aug 28 22:03:22 UTC 2020

I sent this to BSD Now a month ago and haven't heard anything back, but I
bet there are opinions to be had in here! Thanks in advance.

I'm migrating a mail server to a FreeBSD jail, and I've seen conflicting
notes about how best to tune ZFS for holding accounts with Maildirs. My
current thinking is that I don't want to change recordsize as it's an upper
limit, not a minimum, but that I might want to set primarycache=metadata so
I'm caching information about Maildir contents, but not the Maildir
contents themselves. But are these valid thoughts, and what else is there
to think about? The problem is that I don't know what I don't know, and I'm
not sure about what I do know, so I'd love some advise about how best to
tune a dataset for Maildirs.

Thanks!

--
Mason Loring Bliss  ((   If I have not seen as far as others, it is because
 mason at blisses.org   ))   giants were standing on my shoulders. - Hal Abelson