nested zfs datasets and NFS4

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 18 13:19:53 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-18 05:16, Julien Cigar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With the following configuration (1) I don't understand why do I have
> access to /usr/jails/j_www1/filer/webapps/phegea as it is not mounted..?
> I thought that with nested ZFS datasets each dataset should be exported
> and mounted explicitely ..
>
> (1): https://gist.githubusercontent.com/silenius/2f4e1418d77074d610996b0977776f18/raw/2cb2e5d0bb7ebd9c8e69d6c14245c41051c11bf5/gistfile1.txt
>
> any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Julien

Are you using NFSv3 or v4 on the client?

With v4, you can cross mount boundries with a single nfs mount. This is
very useful for things like NFS mounting homedirs, as you can mount just
home and have access to each user's personal dataset with out 100s of
separate mounts on the client.

If you want a child dataset NOT to be reachable, 'zfs set sharenfs=off
dataset', and it will not be reachable via NFSv4

--
Allan Jude