zfs scrub enable by default

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Wed Aug 5 02:01:00 UTC 2020

On 8/4/2020 21:21, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Aug 2020, Grant Gray via freebsd-fs wrote:
>>
>> 2. That scrubbing PREVENTS data loss. Scrubbing can only tell you
>> about data loss AFTER it happens. Yes, it could alert you to a
>> problem that prevents further data loss, but it's already too late.
>> Scrubbing is not a substitute for RAID, backups and proactive SMART
>> testing.
>
> Any reasonable zfs pool should have sufficient hardware redundancy to
> allow it sufficient time to work without losing data before a human is
> able to notice and replace the failing hardware.

You assume much.

Let me give you two allegedly "degenerate" cases that are actually not
degenerate at all.

1. A laptop or workstation.  It is backed up.  It uses ZFS because it's
faster, and I can establish a filesystem for some project very easily
and quickly, it's segregated, I can work on it and destroy it trivially
when done.  I can set quotas on that, etc.  If I want to move its
mountpoint, I can trivially do so. And so on.  Note that here there is
no redundancy at all; no raidZx, no mirroring, etc.  I'm merely using it
for convenience.

2. The same, but with multiple BEs.  Same idea, but now I can have
multiple OS versions and change between them for a given boot very
quickly while leaving my user data (and application software) alone.
VERY useful if I'm doing code development on the OS (and I do that once
in a while) or application development and want to test against
different FreeBSD revisions (which I do a LOT.) Again, I don't get a wet
crap about redundancy, but I care very much about the convenience.

My laptop is set up with ZFS and has exactly one storage device in it.
I don't consider that foolish at all for the above reasons (and it has
kept me from hair-pulling exercises when drm-kmod problems bit people,
including me), but a scrub on an automated "schedule" basis for that
machine is IMHO cray-cray material.

--
Karl Denninger
karl at denninger.net <mailto:karl at denninger.net>