zfs scrub enable by default

John Long codeblue at inbox.lv
Mon Aug 3 21:34:12 UTC 2020

On 03/08/2020 18:11, Karl Denninger wrote:
> On 8/3/2020 14:05, Peter Eriksson wrote:
>>> In cases where that assumption is false - the resources consumed by
>>> an hours-long scrub, slowing down a system which people expect to be
>>> "as responsive as it usually it"...
>>>
>>> Our defaults should try to minimize the nasty surprises.
>>>
>>> -Walter

> I will pipe up AGAINST making this a default "do on its own" thing.

Agreed. Please don't do this. That goes beyond the bounds of providing a
useful system and crosses the red line of doing things we didn't ask
for, don't reasonably expect, and could lead to problems that are
impossible to anticipate. It is up to the user to configure his system
the way he wants. The as-installed OS should be as unsurprising, benign,
and vanilla as possible.

Windows 10 boxes come preconfigured to defrag the hard drive
automatically on some eerily disruptive schedule. I have to turn it off
on every new box to avoid performance problems. I had to uninstall large
sets of packages on Fedora Linux to stop the system indexing file
contents in the name of uber-search capability which I don't want, a la
Microsoft. Surely, FreeBSD can avoid these kinds of problems.

Thank you.

/jl