Two ZFS pools on one system: load on one pool badly affects other one

Zaphod Beeblebrox zbeeble at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:39:50 UTC 2020

[ regarding zfs arc cache on two pools, where one pool can clear the cache
of the other ]

... have you tried introducing an l2 cache on an SSD for the "private"
pool?  It seems to me that size of the l2 ARC are pool specific (where the
division of memory in the l1 ARC is not).  It doesn't surprise me that this
happens.  I have a large RAIZ2 pool for media (currently 40T, expanding to
60T shortly) on an otherwise general home server with 32G RAM.  There is
also a mirrored pool (root, home, a few things) on this machine for various
reasons (like not booting from such a large raid) and things got overall
better when I added a few hundred gig of l2 cache to each of the two pools.