ZFS server has gone crazy slow

Chris Ross cross+freebsd at distal.com
Sat Apr 11 18:41:42 UTC 2020

> On Apr 11, 2020, at 14:02, Chris Ross <cross+freebsd at distal.com> wrote:
> I _think_ this is a filesystem problem.  […]

Okay, this is pretty certain now.  I’m trying to disable some daemons (squid specifically), and to move a large log file out of the way, I did:

% mv access.log access.log.old && touch access.log

...as the squid user.  For 10 minutes or more, that mv was in disk wait:

squid   2365   0.0  0.0   4240   1892  3  D+   14:22      0:00.02 mv access.log access.log.old

I didn’t truss that mv to know why, but that should never happen.  A rename in the same directory is about the most simple action to perform…

I’m going to reboot now that I’ve disabled squid and moved it’s logs (it did eventually complete, somewhere in the 11-14 minute range).  I asked the daemon to stop 30+ minutes ago, it still hasn’t exited…. I doubt that will fix the issues I’m having, but it’s a start.

            - Chris