Cannot mount an older disk

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Oct 9 01:48:57 UTC 2019

> On Oct 8, 2019, at 9:35 PM, Mikhail T. <mi+t at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> Going through older hard drives, I found one that still seems to work and was curious, what's on it. The OS -- 12.1-STABLE -- sees it find. The disklabel seems sane (except for the number of partitions):
>
>   # /dev/ada1:
>   8 partitions:
>   #          size     offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>      b:   12582912          0      swap
>      c: 1465149168          0    unused        0     0 # "raw" part,
>   don't edit
>      d: 1452566256   12582912    4.2BSD     8192 65536 52352
>
> and there are ada1, ada1b, and ada1d entries under /dev. So far so good. Unfortunately, both mount and fsck tell me the same blatant lie, that the device does not exist:
>
>   # fsck -y /dev/ada1d
>   Can't open /dev/ada1d: No such file or directory
>
>   # mount /dev/ada1d /mnt
>   mount: /dev/ada1d: No such file or directory

Very curious about this as well - I have a stack of a few dozen drives that I’m wiping before they go to recycling and I’ve hit a number where I get this same error.

I’ve been having a hard time keeping up with what’s new in 11.x and 12.x without following all the mailing lists. I feel like there’s some cool new stuff, but no idea where it’s documented these days (I’m on about 20 years or so of using FreeBSD).

Charles