ZFS snapdir readability (Crosspost)

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Fri Nov 22 08:42:00 UTC 2019

> On 21 Nov 2019, at 17:59, mike tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:
>
> On 11/21/2019 11:49 AM, Jan Behrens wrote:
>>
>> As far as I know, there is no way to disable having .zfs/snapshot
>> readable by everyone, is that correct?
>
> I believe so.  Hence the request to add a zfs feature to add a new
> option to snapdir along the lines of
>
> zfs set snapdir=inaccessible <filesystem>
> or
> zfs set snapdir=rootonly <filesystem>

Instead of “inaccessible" I would say “disable” because it’s not only preventing access. It is
preventing an actual action from taking place: the automatic mounting of the snapshots
below .zfs/snapshot. So. “disable” is more descriptive.

What about a third option, “owneronly”? Although I think it should be controlled by
the vfs.usermount property.

Borja.