FreeBSD ZFS vs. TrueOS ZoF benchmarks

Paul Pathiakis pathiaki2 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 22 11:50:42 UTC 2019

 Matt,
Meaning?  How does -O0 optimization and INVARIANTS affect this?

Personally, I find everything on Phoronix "out-of-the-box" FreeBSD and optimized Linux.  *shrug*  Apples? Meet Oranges.  I make my money as a contractor supporting RH/CentOS, but it's always funny to give people the heads up on who uses FreeBSD as their starting point and to let them know the home network runs on FreeBSD.

When people think Linux (which they believe is the only OSS "Operating System" out there)  I have to explain kernel and user space and then explain FreeBSD is both and then show them the numerous CVE exploits for that year.... 150+ versus ~15.  Faster is not always better, especially when you're circumventing standards to get that speed. (I remember the IIS vs Apache wars....  Turned out that IIS was not doing things properly and circumvented a lot of exploit protections for that speed.)

Building an OS that does everything well OOB, FreeBSD can do that.  Optimize for application specific....  It usually wins, places or shows.

Sadly, I didn't realize that FreeNAS was using OpenZFS vs the FreeBSD ZFS.  Here's my question.... Why?  It was my understanding that SUN made it OSS and there are conflicts with the CDDL and GPL.  It seems silly to lose performance for no reason.
As for phoronix, I read it for a laugh.  It's funny how so many "Linux is everything/rules" people I meet who just use it as a shield and have never evaluated the kernels of both and the surrounding userland.  The FreeBSD project is tight, goes through a proper QA and release cycle and out pops, even a x.0 release, a fully useful new OS version with everything neat, tidy, functional and fast.  (So, if FreeBSD can do this, why are all the crazies that are producing software screaming AGILE and quick releases which still has not solved the problem of crap code?)
Ooops, bit of a rant.... sorry all,
Paul

    On Thursday, March 21, 2019, 12:37:23 PM EDT, Matthew Macy <mmacy at freebsd.org> wrote:

 These were run with ZoF compiled with -O0 and INVARIANTS. Take what you
read with a grain of salt.