July OpenZFS Leadership Meeting

Matthew Ahrens mahrens at delphix.com
Wed Jul 24 19:29:16 UTC 2019

The video and meeting notes are now available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIIDDq9qag&feature=youtu.be

   -

   ZoL + SIMD + Linux 5.0 (Matt)
   -

      Brian integrated some support for this already but he is currently on
      vacation
      -

      5.0+ made some changes to the floating point registers that were used
      by ZoL for SIMD instructions
      -

      Brian reimplemented some of those in ZoL and now these instructions
      work again and will be backported in 0.8
      -

      Needed for performant RAIDZ, Encryption, and some compression
      algorithms
      -

      Used only if the underlying CPU architecture actually supported
      (checked during runtime)
      -

   OpenZFS Developer Summit (Matt)
   -

      Announced: Nov 4-5. Same locations as last year in SF.
      -

      Registration and call for papers is open. Please submit a talk and
      tell us about the cool stuff you’re doing with ZFS
      -

      We appreciate people volunteering to help out with things for the
      conference.
      -

         Karyn will reach out to Rainbow about help with AV.
         -

      Ticket prices went up to $100. There are some discount tickets
      available, and let us know if the pricing is a hardship and we can try to
      figure something out.
      -

         FreeBSD Foundation may have travel grants available if want to
         apply
         -

      Get all the details (including a link to the registration site) on
      the OpenZFS wiki page
      <http://open-zfs.org/wiki/OpenZFS_Developer_Summit_2019>
      -

   Property to track amount of queued TRIM/UNMAP (like “freeing” for async
   destroy) (Allan)
   -

      Allan Jude: users may want to know how many trim/unmapped is left or
      in-progress before performing other actions instead of performing the pool
      -

      Matt: Maybe a flag to zpool sync —trim that could wait for all trim
      activity to be done. Probably better than the existing proposal where we
      have a property like freeing for it, which would jump up and down
      -

      `zpool wait` that is about to be upstreamed from Delphix and should
      be a good candidate to add this functionality. You can look at
the Delphix
      repo if you want to see it before the PR.
      -

   RAIDZ removal issue <https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/9013> with
   design ideas (Igor)
   -

   RAIDZ expansion progress (Matt)
   -

      No progress to report since preview posted
      -

      The hope is to have takers to test it out
      -

      The functionality is there, there are on-disk format changes (so
      don't use it in production), a few race conditions being fixed and some
      more error handling for device failures.
      -

      Important to note that even though we can expand the RAIDZ we still
      can't remove devices (e.g. zpool remove)
      -

      ZoL PR exists <https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/8853> with
      design considerations for the feature
      -

   OpenZFS feature matrix
   <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CFapSYxA5QRFYy5k6ge3FutU7zbAWbaeGN2nKVXgxCI/edit?usp=sharing>
   (everyone)
   -

      FreeBSD is hoping to catch up with ZoL through the ZoF work
      -

      NFSv4 ACL PR waiting for code review - should we consider tracking
      this in the feature Matrix?
      -

         Update: Added
         -