ZFS on Hardware RAID

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 15:40:23 UTC 2019

On 21/01/2019 14:17, Borja Marcos wrote:

>> On 20 Jan 2019, at 16:33, jdelisle <jdelisle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can say for certain that with Dell PERC 6/e RAID (SAS 8087ELP based)
>> cards, when the virtual devices are entire disks each in a RAID0
>> configuration, the way the adapter writes data to them is effectively the
>> same as JBOD.  You can take a RAID0 drive from a PERC 6/e controller and
>> use in with an HBA/ "IT Mode" JBOD controller without issue.  I personally
>> migrated 14x 1TB drives off PERC 6/e (all RAID0's) to a SAS 6gbps HBA, and
>> my ZFS VDEV's and pools were totally fine.  You can move back and forth no
>> problem.  I can't say this is the case for ALL RAID controllers, I've only
>> done this with an old PERC 6/e.
> However a single disk RAID0 volume (what manufacturers call a JBOD) is not the same
> as a disk. With the “virtual JBOD” you lose direct CAM access, which means that some
> advanced options won’t be supported.
>
> For example, if you are using SSDs ZFS knows when to issue a TRIM (or, in general,
> BIO_DELETE) command. Does the “virtual JBOD” offer that option?
Typically yes it does.
> The same could be said of other functionalities available when you talk directly
> to the disks.
>

>> That's why I did as I describe above.  I didn't have the money to buy an
>> HBA until a year or two later, and I had good backups, so I used the PERC
>> 6/e.
> Depending on the LSI model used in that card you can make it behave like an HBA.

Indeed you can for most, but its not an easy or error free option,
requires *force *flashing from IR to IT firmware, and if it goes wrong
you can end up with a bricked controller.

We've used LSI's in IR mode (RAID) but as individual disks JBOD with ZFS
raid2z or mirroring on top for a long time and on lots of machines, not
had any issues to report. So while I would never use hardware RAID from
those controllers with ZFS, JBOD on them is an easy and reliable option
in our experience.

     Regards
     Steve