Supermicro HBA

Tenzin Lhakhang tenzin.lhakhang at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:28:35 UTC 2019

If cost is negligible between Supermicro HBA using 3008 controller versus
Broadcom/Avago/LSI card.  I'd say opt for the Broadcom card, their
support + drivers + firmware downloads is much better than Supermicro's FTP
site.  Broadcom keeps whitepapers, archive of all their past released
firmwares.

Must dos:
- Make sure to do hot-add hot-remove disks (with workload).
- Make sure to do disk led blink light tests.  You will have to use the
sas3ircu utility, unless you have OS specific utilities to find them.
- Perform an fio disk benchmark to get baseline system performance.
https://github.com/axboe/fio

Issues I've seen:
- SuperMicro's FTP site for their firmware doesn't include archive copies,
only latest.  Sometimes latest FW doesn't work nicely and hopefully you
have an old FW downloaded prior.
- SuperMicro FTP site:  ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/
- Sometimes SM HBA's FW and LSI HBA's FW can be used interchangeable and
sometimes not.  If you flashed a LSI HBA with SMC firmware, then you have
to add -nossid when flashing using the sas3flash when going back to LSI
firmware.  Sometimes it flashes fine and everything looks ok, you see all
the disks, but when you blink disk 4, it blinks disk 1.  When you
physically remove disk 2, ZFS says disk 3 is gone.  It's best to thoroughly
qualify the system after FW flash.

Broadcom page for 9300-8i
-
https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9300-8i#overview
- It's a bit hard to understand all the different downloads, but they're
helpful when you understand the workflow to flash FW and use the sas3ircu
utility.  In the latest release, they've bundled all the required downloads
into the Firmware download.  In the past you would have to individually
find the different ROM and BIN files.

All said, Supermicro HBA when it's working, it works pretty well.  I've
seen HBA failures, but the systems were usually 5+ years old.
- If you have multiple HBAs in a system, record which physical controller
is on PCIe slot is the logical controller reported by OS.  Otherwise when a
single HBA fails, it's a bit hard to trace which software HBA is which
physical HBA.

Thanks,
Tenzin