[zfs] Re: April OpenZFS Leadership Meeting

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Apr 24 14:04:58 UTC 2019

On April 23, 2019 8:46:32 PM UTC, Matthew Ahrens <mahrens at delphix.com> wrote:
>At today's meeting we covered:
>
>Discussions:
>
>   - Making it easier to port commits from ZoL -> other platforms
>   - Enabling compression by default
>   - Updating LZ4 implementation
>
>Announcements:
>
>   - DRAID meetup
>   - ZoL 0.8 status
>   - ZoF (ZoL on FreeBSD) test images
>   - Code of Conduct
>
>Video recording available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIVGGJaZ7zk
>
>The next meeting will be May 28th at 1PM Pacific time (5 weeks from
>today).
>
>Detailed notes, thanks to Karyn and Serapheim:
>
>   -
>
>   DRAID meetup (Richard Elling)
>   -
>
>      This is an all-day workshop for people interested in using and
>      developing the feature
>      -
>
>      The goal is to finalize the design and start working on it
>      -
>
>      May 3 at the Delphix SF office (343 Sansome St, Suite 900, San
>      Francisco) at 9am
>      -
>
>   Please RSVP so we are sure to have enough space. Reach out to anyone
>      on the team over email, Slack (#draid)
>      -
>
>      Karyn to set up Zoom
>      -
>
>      Richard will pull together an agenda document: remote folks (in
>      particular) can add comments and items to the agenda
>      -
>
>   ZoL 0.8 status (Brian B)
>   -
>
>   Tagged final release candidate last week. FC and soaking since then.
>      -
>
>      Please test it as much as possible!
>      -
>
>      There are a few remaining bugs they are trying to finish up, but
>      there shouldn’t be major changes.
>      -
>
>      Also working on documentation
>      -
>
>      Hoping to release in 2-3 weeks
>      -
>
>   ZoL => FreeBSD: test images available (based on Dec ZoL)! See this
>   announcement
><https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2019-April/090915.html>
>   for details. Please test it out.
>   -
>
>   Allan will cross-post the ZoL on FreeBSD announcement to the openzfs
>      list.
>      -
>
>      JoshP: The current ZoL-based implementation doesn't have TRIM
>      enabled, are we dropping it?
>      -
>
>         Darth is waiting for ZoL to reach 0.8 and Delphix to upstream
>  their latest features to ZoL before doing a final rebase for release.
>         Hopefully in 4-6 weeks.
>         -
>
>            This rebase should also include the TRIM changes.
>            -
>
>   Any feedback on Porting ZoL commits to other platforms? (Brian B)

> [...]

Hello all,

For anecdotal experience regarding root pool compression, the issue was there with older GRUB loader of OpenSolaris and contemporary Solaris 10; I believe it was fixed in the illumos branch after the fork (can't find and point to a commit now, possibly soon after lz4 introduction; no idea about state of later Solaris releases).

The problem manifested by GRUB refusing to read datasets (rpool, rpool/ROOT, rpool/ROOT/$BENAME) that had the compression enabled (even if no blocks were in fact compressed) or disabled at the moment but compressed blocks encountered during a read.

This was one of main reasons early on for my split-root support scripts, so /usr could be separated into a gzip-9'ed dataset and shrink from ~3gb to ~1gb on a default install.

On my current laptop I see rpool has compression=off, rpool/ROOT has lz4 and rootfs(es) inherit that. Works well WRT stability and performance.

Hope this helps,
Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Android