Fixing vdev name

David Chisnall theraven at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 20 13:05:56 UTC 2018

[ Please keep me in the cc line - I'm not subscribed to this list ]

>> Hello the list,
>>
>> I have a VM that uses ZFS with a pair of striped devices.  The first
>> is a partition on the root disk, created by the installer.  When
>> this was too small, I added another device (da1) and told the pool
>> to expand to use it (no redundancy, because the underlying storage
>> for the VM images provides that).  After a reboot, I can no longer
>> boot the system. Booting from the install CD and attempting to
>> import the pool, it correctly identifies da0p4 as one of the
>> devices, but gives me a long number instead of da1.
>
> This means ZFS doesn't see the other device (or more correctly no
> device with the ZFS meta-data on the device which matches what the
> pool wants to see as the second vdev).

So there's been some corruption to the disk?

> Do you see the second disk from non-ZFS tools?

geom lists da1 as a device of the correct type, but zdb doesn't find any
labels for it.

> Does the partition info
> look OK there (if you partitioned it before giving it to ZFS)?

I dind't partition it, I just assigned the whole thing to ZFS.

> Does the geometry/size look correct?

Yup, in geom list it all looks sensible.

>> How do I fix this so that the pool again points to da1?
>
> As a side note, it doesn't matter if it is da1 or something else (e.g.
> /dev/gpt/<volid> or whatever), as long as it is a geom provider
> instead of the uuid of the device like it seems to be the case right
> now.

So does this mean that something on the (virtual) disk was corrupted
(sufficiently to remove both copies of the label and the uberblock)?

David