NFSv4 Kerberos mount from Linux

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sat Oct 13 00:44:37 UTC 2018

Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>I wrote:
>>
>> The one area you don't discuss (and maybe isn't really a problem?) is what
>> ticket encryption type(s) you use.
>> Kerberized NFS still uses DES (someday this may change, but I think that requires
>> implementation of RPCSEC_GSS V3), so it needs an 8byte session key.
>
>This isn't true anymore; you can use stronger session keys just fine.
>(See also RFC 6649 -- don't use single-DES!)
I haven't read RFC6649, but from looking at the kgssapi code in FreeBSD's
head/current, it appears that newer encryption types are used for wrap/unwrap
(krb5p).
>From what I can see, the following appear to be supported:
DES, DES3, AES128, AES256, Arcfour, Arcfour_56
(I'll have to look at RFC6649 someday, because I've never seen an RFC specifying
 anything but DES for RPCSEC_GSS.)

I won't even try to guess whether all of the above work for all implementations,
but it appears that it uses whatever the session key is (krb5_key_state?).

Peter, do you happen to know what encryption type(s) you have been using?

>> (I have never seen a documented way to convert a session key of greater than
>>  8bytes into an 8byte session key for RPCSEC_GSS to use. As such, I have no idea
>>  what happens if you choose a ticket encryption type that results in a greater
>>  than 8byte key.)
Ignore this. I just wasn't correct.

rick
[good stuff snipped]