ZFS mix disks diffrent size and speed in a pool

Ronald Klop ronald-lists at klop.ws
Wed Oct 3 08:49:53 UTC 2018

After all the disks are replaced the extra space can be used.

See man zpool:

     autoexpand=on | off
         Controls automatic pool expansion when the underlying LUN is grown.
         If set to "on", the pool will be resized according to the size of the
         expanded device. If the device is part of a mirror or raidz then all
         devices within that mirror/raidz group must be expanded before the
         new space is made available to the pool. The default behavior is
         "off".  This property can also be referred to by its shortened column
         name, expand.

So it can be nice to start using bigger disks (2+ TB) if you know you need more space in the future and the price is ok.

Regards,
Ronald.