boot2 / loader can not check superblock checksum and refuse to boot, but fsck_ffs doesn't see problems

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 1 16:10:06 UTC 2018

On 01.11.2018 18:54, Harry Schmalzbauer wrote:

> I think I've had the same / a similar problem some dozend moons ago,
> which I could track down to a 'newfs' induced problem.  'newfs'ing the
> same partition [/md(4) deivce  without partitions in my case] multiple
> times (4 times) triggered that problem, as far as I remember.
> Can't find any notices :-( And haven't investigated further :-(
> Maybe it's worth checking if your problem is also related to the number
> of newfs runs – unfortunately I can't remember if it really was boot2
> where my – at least very similar – error came from. Other symptoms match
> – no problem by fsck_ffs(8) found.

 I'm using same md(4)-bakcing file for many-many times, yes (much more
than 4), but it is first time I got this problem. Ok, I'll re-create
backing file on image builder and try to create image again.

 But it looks like very strange bug.

--
// Lev Serebryakov