Can one remove a specific file from all snapshots?

Alex Aminoff aminoff at nber.org
Fri May 18 20:29:47 UTC 2018

The use case here is that we have data sets of sensitive data that we
are contractually obligated to delete with no backups at a certain point
in time. The datasets are stored on a ZFS filesystem (on a truenas from
IxSystems as it happens). The snapshots are kept for 15 days, so at the
moment we have to rm the files 15 days before the deadline to be
compliant. Is there a way to delete a specific file from the live
filesystem as well as all the snapshots?

I did find a post to this list from 2014:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2014-October/020307.html

but I don't think it is relevant, and in any case it does not appear
that the feature that post describes was implemented.

Thanks,

  - Alex Aminoff, NBER