Native ZFS encryption

Lorenzo Perone lopez.on.the.lists at yellowspace.net
Tue May 15 11:07:14 UTC 2018

Hi, does anyone know whether there is an update on this, FreeBSD-wise,
or if it is planned?

It looks like the new pull request for openzfs,
https://github.com/openzfs/openzfs/pull/489 has come a few steps
further. I've also seen the dataset/zvol encryption functionality "sort
of working" on one of the latest OpenZFS on OS X version (1.7.3 Beta).

Being able to have encryption at the dataset/zvol level is, imo, a very
nice option: It allows to share the space and hardware redundancy
between different users, while keeping their data encrypted with
separate keys - as opposed to the (very well working) "GELI below" option.

On the more general matter, I wondered if anyone has a pointer to any
documentation / article / comment (other than the code itself) on how
"compatible" the openzfs and FreeBSD-zfs implementations actually are?

I wonder for example how FreeBSD specific features like "zfs jail" are
kept while/if merging code from openzfs? (as a side note: another
FreeBSD specific feature being, of course, longterm-proven reliability..)

Best Regards to all active developers,

Lorenzo