smart(8) Call for Testing

Michael Dexter editor at callfortesting.org
Sat Mar 31 05:16:15 UTC 2018

On 3/29/18 6:43 AM, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>    Monitoring of values and alerting is VERY important (number of
> Relocations is main indicator of spinning HDD health and when it raises
> it must be known ASAP)

Another metric that frequently came up during outreach was any sudden
increase in disk latency, usually indicating that you have between one
and 24 hours to replace the device. I am curious what people are doing
now to determine such changes in latency and where they feel such
monitoring should exist in the stack.

As for SNMP and friends, I consider those way up the stack with tools
like smart(8) simply providing a building block.

Michael